Quantcast

a real engine question

Brent Prindle
This is about my Laverda 750 Formula model.

I recently notice a vibe that got kinda crazy above 4500rpm or so.
Checked a few things out, and still had a problem so started removing
bottom end bits.

It seems the bolts that hold the drive gear to the balance shaft have
sheared.

Have removed all the leftover bolt parts, and was going to put it
together.  Got out the service manual, and it of course says to make
sure that the mark on the crankshaft drive gear matches to the one on
the balancer shaft gear.

But the manual says nothing else about assembly of the balance shaft
setup itself.  There are three bolts holding the drive gear to the shaft
setup, and they are equally spaced so you could put it on one of three
ways.  This is a counter-rotating shaft.

My first impulse is to find the way that puts the weights so that they
are at BDC when the cylinder is at TDC, so they go up/down at the same
time as the bobweights, or opposite the crankpin.  One of the possible
positions aligns with this.

Does anybody know if Laverda had another idea?

-oo
Brent Prindle
[hidden email]

Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

re: a real engine question

Michael Moore-3
Brent, is there only one balance shaft?

My GS450 Suzuki manual shows the weights of the balance shaft
being positioned 180* from the big-end pins on the crankshaft so
perhaps the 750F should be the same.  The GS is a 180* twin
though, and I can't recall if the Laverda is the same or is a 360*
twin as with the SF750.

The Suzuki manual does have a page showing the various force
vectors and resultants forces for the balancing system, and I'll try
to get that scanned and pushed to my website tomorrow in the
hope that it will prove useful to someone.

cheers,
Michael
Michael Moore
Euro Spares, San Francisco CA
Sole North American distributor of "The Racing Motorcycle: a technical guide for constructors Volumes One and Two"
Host of 7 m/c email lists (details on the web site)
http://www.eurospares.com
AFM/AHRMA #364

Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: a real engine question

Brent Prindle
There is only one balance shaft, with two weights.  The weights are on
the ends outside the main crankcase behind the clutch and alternator
covers.  Unlike most I have seen where they are in the middle and swing
between the bobweights of the crankshaft.

The newer Laverda 650 and 750 engines are 180deg twins.

This manual is interesting to say the least.  Some of the translations
are as scary sounding as late sixties japanese manuals.

-oo
Brent Prindle
[hidden email]
> My GS450 Suzuki manual shows the weights of the balance shaft
> being positioned 180* from the big-end pins on the crankshaft so
> perhaps the 750F should be the same.  The GS is a 180* twin
> though, and I can't recall if the Laverda is the same or is a 360*
> twin as with the SF750.
>
> The Suzuki manual does have a page showing the various force
> vectors and resultants forces for the balancing system, and I'll try
> to get that scanned and pushed to my website tomorrow in the
> hope that it will prove useful to someone.
>
> cheers,
> Michael
> Michael Moore
> Euro Spares, San Francisco CA
> Sole North American distributor of "The Racing Motorcycle: a technical
> guide for constructors Volumes One and Two"
> Host of 7 m/c email lists (details on the web site)
> http://www.eurospares.com
> AFM/AHRMA #364
>

> Yahoo! Groups Links

Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Crankshaft question, tapered end

David Fallon
I have a Harley Sprint, made by Aermacchi.  The crankshaft tapered end
where the flywheel mounts has a 3 mm diameter pin that locates the
flywheel.  It is sheared off flush with the surface of the tapered end
of the crankshaft.  I know the usual means to get things like this out
of a hole.  Still, this one is going to be tough.  Any advice before I
start would be appreciated.

The main concern is to preserve the hole and not damage the shaft.

David Fallon
WMRRA 441

Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Crankshaft question, tapered end

Marin California
Call me re this.
Ken Augustine
Kinetic Analysis
53 Mark Drive,  San Rafael, CA   94903
415 472 4952  h, w, fx
[hidden email]

--- David Fallon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have a Harley Sprint, made by Aermacchi.  The
> crankshaft tapered end
> where the flywheel mounts has a 3 mm diameter pin
> that locates the
> flywheel.  It is sheared off flush with the surface
> of the tapered end
> of the crankshaft.  I know the usual means to get
> things like this out
> of a hole.  Still, this one is going to be tough.
> Any advice before I
> start would be appreciated.
>
> The main concern is to preserve the hole and not
> damage the shaft.
>
> David Fallon
> WMRRA 441

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: a real engine question

Paul Herrmann
Brent,  I have the 750S - no sheared bolts though...yet. Contact the guys at
www.altoperformance.com they race these bikes in the UK and make/sell parts.
You would want to speak to Ben.

Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Crankshaft question, tapered end

Ian D-2

>I have a Harley Sprint, made by Aermacchi.  The crankshaft tapered end
>where the flywheel mounts has a 3 mm diameter pin that locates the
>flywheel.  It is sheared off flush with the surface of the tapered end
>of the crankshaft.  I know the usual means to get things like this out
>of a hole.  Still, this one is going to be tough.  Any advice before I
>start would be appreciated.
>
>The main concern is to preserve the hole and not damage the shaft.

Carbide drill or EDM machine.

If the hole ends up OS, a stepped pin could be made.

Cheers      IAN

See www.drysdalev8.com for :
- Drysdale 750-V8 Sports & 1000-V8 Cruiser
- DRYVTECH 2x2x2 Experimental
- Carberry Enfield 1000cc V-Twin
- Drysdale Hillclimb Open Wheeler

Great things are happening at Yahoo! Groups.  See the new email design.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/SktRrD/hOaOAA/yQLSAA/KqTolB/TM

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    mailto:[hidden email]
    mailto:[hidden email]

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: a real engine question

Brent Prindle
Well, I went ahead and put things together the way I thought they should
be.  Must have screwed up right, because the bike runs smoother than it
ever has.

It is possible these screws were broken at the factory and it took
7000miles for the weight to slowly get more out of position as time and
pulses went by.

Think I will keep it for a while!

-oo
Brent Prindle
[hidden email]

--- In [hidden email], "Brent Prindle" <brentp@...> wrote:

> Well, I went ahead and put things together the way I thought they
should
> be.  Must have screwed up right, because the bike runs smoother than
it
> ever has.

perhaps I should then strip mine and do the same for a smooth running
engine. :)

Mine seems OK with over 6000km done without crank failure. Holding
thumbs as I belt down the back straight lap after lap!

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    mailto:[hidden email]
    mailto:[hidden email]

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

carb description

the750guy

Re: carb description

newboltz333
Chuckle. Love the ringlish.
I haven't been able to buy carbs that good in many decades !!

Maybe we should try and translate a "proper" description into russian and
see how we go... ?

----------
From: 750guy <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Subject: carb description
Date: Wednesday, September 13, 2006 1:54 PM

This is a set of Dneipre carbs, you got to read the description of how good
they work
Joe
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TWO-NEW-Carburetors-for-URAL-DNEPR-Russian-MO
TO-BIKE-NR_W0QQitemZ280027765199QQihZ018QQcategoryZ35620QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    mailto:[hidden email]
    mailto:[hidden email]

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: carb description

newboltz333
P.S. Cheap, aren't they ?

As is the hordes of chinese bikes and bits appearing here...

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    mailto:[hidden email]
    mailto:[hidden email]

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: carb description

Marin California
The vodka was good but the meat was rotten.

--- 750guy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is a set of Dneipre carbs, you got to read the
> description of how good they work
> Joe

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TWO-NEW-Carburetors-for-URAL-DNEPR-Russian-MOTO-BIKE-NR_W0QQitemZ280027765199QQihZ018QQcategoryZ35620QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    mailto:[hidden email]
    mailto:[hidden email]

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: carb description

Otto Nikolaus
OT, but for anyone who doesn't know it, have a look at
http://www.engrish.com/
Should keep you chuckling for a while :D

Otto

On 13/09/06, RohanB <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Chuckle. Love the ringlish.
> I haven't been able to buy carbs that good in many decades !!
>
> Maybe we should try and translate a "proper" description into russian and
> see how we go... ?

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    mailto:[hidden email]
    mailto:[hidden email]

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: carb description

chris rhodes-2
anyone else having a yakov smirnov moment?

Otto Nikolaus <[hidden email]> wrote:          OT, but for anyone who doesn't know it, have a look at